Tuesday, September 26, 2000

Cuba, MO to Farmington, MO - 81 miles

Today was the shortest day of our trip at 82 miles. With the Kansas wind beating us up, and the previous two days of rain and cold, we all were relieved to wake up to sunny clear skies. It was still a little nippy out, but it was forecast to get up into the 70's. For breakfast, we had glazed Dunkin' Donuts, along with the usual choice of bagels, cold cereal, hot oatmeal, bananas, pastries, and OJ. I had two donuts, a bowl of frosted mini-wheat, and oatmeal with brown sugar and milk.

The terrain was going to be more steep rolling hills, which I really like to ride on. I started out after most everyone, and proceeded to pass just about everyone. Woody was only ahead of me at the first stop because he doesn't stop. While munching on snacks, Wes, Larry and Keith all passed me by. There was one steep climb after another, in and out of little valleys, through cow pastures, through forests. The scenery was beautiful. My rear tire was becoming more and more mushy as I whipped up the hills. The leak was slow enough so I rode it into the second stop. My rear tire was shot - cotton was showing, there were all kinds of gashes and cuts. It needed to be tossed in the garbage. I changed the tube and pumped it up with the available floor pump. The tire should hold for 30 miles. Meanwhile Gerald and Alex go through the stop.
More climbing into the town of Bismark where we had hamburgers for lunch. Again we had the usual gaggle of locals watching us. We were probably the most excitement they would have all year. Someone made some tasty homemade brownies for dessert. We also had some local Missouri fruit - a persimmon. It had a weird texture, was orange rust brown, and looked gross, but it didn't taste too bad.

Only 16 miles till the end of the day. It was mostly on a wide more trafficked road. Long, low climbs followed by long low downhills. Saw Alex fixing a flat along the way. Keith, Larry, Wes, and Gerald were back already waiting for the motel truck. A beautiful day for riding.

I changed out my tire (black Michelin Axial Pro). I should have changed it a few days ago, and I would not have gotten the four flats I did the last three days. The tire had about 2200 miles on it. It probably should have been tossed at 1900 miles. Went to a cool bicycle themed restaurant called Spokes (with a slightly grumpy waitress), and fueled up with French onion soup, pasta, then Dairy Queen for dessert.

We cross the Mississippi River tomorrow as we head to the lower tip of Illinois. We are slowly making out way south. Hopefully there will be no hurricanes or tropical storms waiting for us. We are going to enjoy this beautiful weather while it lasts.